Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mixed Berry Yogurt Smash

I figured it would be helpful for me (and perhaps others) to write down what I've been eating (I'm also keeping track on MyFitnessPal.com and in a personal food diary.) Knowing me, I'll find something I love, stick with it for a few months, get bored of it, and move on to something else. Because of this, I won't document what I eat every day because it would be a lot of repetition, but I'll post when I've tried a new recipe. 


Today I tried to make a yogurt parfait, but I didn't feel like dealing with the layers so it turned more into a mix of yogurt, fruit and granola. I've decided to call it a yogurt smash. 

Anyways, my yogurt smash consists of: 

1 cup low fat plain yogurt** (Kroger brand)
1 cup frozen mixed berries (Private Selection brand bought at Kroger)
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) cinnamon walnut granola*

Mix well (or do layers if you so please) and ta-da! You have a yogurt smash (or a parfait if you're fancy.) 

Sorry, I haven't become an official food blogger yet so you'll have to deal with my crappy Iphone picture. 

Nutrition: 
Yogurt: 140 calories, 16g carbs, 4g fat, 11g protein 

Mixed Berries: 80 calories, 21g carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein 

Granola: 238 calories, 28g carbs, 14g fat, 5g protein 


Total: 458 calories, 65g carbs (4 servings), 18g fat, 16g protein (2.25 servings) 



In retrospect, I need to use less granola to get my carbs under 60g and less yogurt to get my protein at 7g or under. Honestly, a cup of yogurt plus a cup of berries was too much for me so I'll probably use 1/2 cup of each next time which will help with the totals.  





*I took Kelly's recipe and added walnuts instead of chopped pecans.
** Using just plain yogurt made the entire thing have a somewhat sour quality to it and left a funny taste in my mouth. Next time I'll use low fat vanilla yogurt and see if that helps. I'd also love to find greek yogurt due to the fact it has higher protein, but Kroger doesn't sell the large tubs and I don't feel like stepping foot into WalMart just for yogurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment