Two posts in one day? Yep, that's what happens when you post your weekly update before going to your OB appointment.
We had our 38 week OB appointment today, but with Dr. G instead of our normal Dr. L because Dr. L is away on a mission trip in Haiti.
The appointment was perfectly normal until Dr. G asked if we had an induction plan yet. We told her we did not which surprised her. Apparently it's "normal" for patients to have an induction plan set by now, especially if the mother has gestational diabetes, which I do.
While we had a quick ultrasound to make sure Breadcrumb was doing ok, Dr. G consulted Dr. L's schedule for next week and landed on a possible induction date of next Monday, August 4.
I say possible because things could go one of three ways:
1. Dr. L comes back into town on Friday, reviews everything and decides an induction is not needed yet. Calls us to cancel the induction, but we have our normal appointment on Monday.
2. We go into our appointment Monday, Dr. L decides that my cervix needs some more "ripening," and we'll come back to Labor and Delivery that afternoon to have a balloon inserted. Induction will probably happen Tuesday morning.
3. We go into our appointment Monday, Dr. L decides that my cervix is favorable for labor and we'll go straight over to Labor and Delivery to (most likely) start Pitocin.
Keegan and I were very taken aback that induction was suddenly on the table. Dr. L has always been open to us letting Breadcrumb bake as long as he wanted and for things to go as naturally as possible (unless there was a medical emergency, of course.) Dr. L had mentioned in the past that we could induce whenever we wanted once we hit 37 weeks, but was always supportive in our decision not to.
We're not sure if an induction plan is one that all doctors do at this practice, and something we would have talked about during this appointment if it had been with Dr. L, or something Dr. G does with her patients. With Dr. L being in Haiti until Friday, we're unable to talk to her until (most likely) Monday at the earliest.
I think we're both excited and scared at the same time. Excited that we finally have a plan and a date that allows us to finalize things at work, around the house, and for scheduling family to come down. Scared because we were both interested in having as natural a labor as possible and we've both heard stories of how one medical intervention (such as the use of Pitocin,) causes another (like an epidural,) which stalls labor and ends in a c-section.
The entire pregnancy, I've told myself that Breadcrumb has to come out one way or another, and while I'd like to have a natural delivery, I won't be heartbroken if it turns out I need a c-section. However, I will be slightly disappointed if I end up having a c-section due to an induction that I'm not 100% convinced is necessary.
Dr. L knows of our wishes of a natural delivery so I'm eager to hear what she has to say on Monday. If she does decide to induce on Monday, I'm going to ask for the least amount of intervention as possible, such as her breaking my water. If Pitocin must be used, I'm going to ask for the smallest amount, and once things start, if my body seems to be continuing on its own, that I'm taken off of it. We've alerted both sets of our parents, and we'll tell our bosses tomorrow just so everyone is up to date on the news in case the induction happens on Monday.
All of this is contingent on Breadcrumb deciding not to make his entrance this week. I am 2.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced, so there's a chance he could decide to come on his own. I asked Dr. G what we could do at home to get things started and she suggested sex and lots of walking.
What's so funny about the whole situation is Keegan's cousin, who's pregnant with twins and due on my due date of August 10, is having her c-section on August 4 as well. We just can't seem to untangle our pregnancies! August 4 is also our anniversary, and I've had a nagging thought throughout the pregnancy that Breadcrumb would come on, or around our anniversary. We'll see what happens!