Friday, August 22, 2014

Kieran's Birth Story Part 2

After Dr. L said the words "c-section," the whole room burst into a flurry of excitement.

Surgery nurses came in and starting prepping us. A nurse shaved the surgery area, I got a hair net, and Dr. L left to prep. They didn't want any metal in surgery, so I had to take out my earrings and take my bra off which was difficult since I was hooked up to an IV and epidural. I told the nurses they could cut it off, but they were determined to take it off in one piece. I also had to drink seltzer water to neutralize my stomach acid so I wouldn't throw up during surgery. The anesthesiologist came in to give me a second dose of epidural and Jennifer placed a catheter. Keegan and I said goodbye to my mom, dad and sister, and I was wheeled down the hall.

Keegan was told to wait outside of the surgery room while they prepped me. I was transferred to the surgery bed and the nurses started doing the prep work, including swabbing my stomach. The blue sheet was placed just under my chin and I got warm blankets placed on my arms which were strapped to the edge of the bed. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me medications for nausea and my nerves because I couldn't stop my body from shaking. The anesthesiologist also had an assistant who explained to me everything the doctors were doing and what sensations I would feel during the process which I really apprecaited.

Around 11:50, Keegan was brought in, sat by my head and held my hand. Dr. L started cutting, and every time she would cauterize a cut, my stomach muscles would involuntarily jump. At 12:07ish, Kieran was worked out of the birth canal and Dr. L asked Keegan to stand up, look over the blue sheet and see Kieran be pulled out. At 12:09, Kieran was born and we heard his first cries.

Kieran was handed off to the pediatrician, Dr. W, who brought him over to the warmer. He was wiped down and given his first APGAR check. Dr. L had left the umbilical cord long so that Keegan could cut it, which he did at this time. Kieran was then brought over to me for a few seconds on his way to the nursery. Dr. L sewed me up, I was given more pain medications and another dose of medicine to stop my shaking.

In the nursery, Kieran was generally checked over, and his heel was pricked to check his blood sugars which came back at a 43. Dr. W called down to the OR to see if I had been transferred to the recovery room and was able to breastfeed to bring up Kieran's blood sugar levels, but I was still in surgery. After 5 minutes, they checked his levels again and they had decreased to 33. Around 30, babies can have seizures from low blood sugar, so it was decided he had to be given formula to try and bring his levels up.

I was eventually moved back to my original Labor and Delivery room and got to see Kieran for about 30 minutes in which we breastfed. Unfortunately I don't remember any of this time. I'm not sure if it's due to the medications or to the shock my body went through, but I have no recollection of those few minutes. After Kieran breastfed, they checked his levels again and they came back at a 43.

Kieran was eventually brought back to the nursery to get bathed and warmed up. Afterwards, we were moved to our mother and baby room where we would stay for the next few days. Dr. L later told us that Kieran's head measured at 14.5 inches and was way too big to fit through my pelvis. He also has broad shoulders, so if his head had managed to make it through the birth canal, they would have had to break his collar bone to fit his shoulders through. Even though our delivery was the complete opposite of what we wanted and planned for, I'm thankful that we had a doctor who was able to recognize the dangers and delivered our son safely.


  1. Wow. So scary! I'm glad you had a sensible doctor, and were able to put his safety above your birth plan. I know that can be hard! So happy he's here and you're all doing well :)

  2. Thanks for sharing Kieran's birth story. You sound so calm. Hope that means recovery is going well and hubby is taking good care of mother and baby.

    1. Oh and what about your fettuccine Alfredo, cupcake and coke? :-) I haven't decided yet what my dream post labor meal will be.

  3. Wow what a big boy! I'm so glad everyone is safe and sound

  4. Wowzers! I'm so glad you had such an awesome team of doctors! That's one big boy you have, and he's scrumptious! Big love and many congrats xxx

  5. Congratulations! I'm so glad Kieran made it here safe and sound. It is also good your doctor was on the ball and that you listened too. My stepmom was so adamant about not having a c-section that she labored for a loooong time, did have her vaginal birth, but was ripped to kingdom come and dealt with several surgeries over the next year and a colostomy bag to boot. Not pretty or fun.

  6. Wow, I'm so glad you guys are okay! Very eventful birth story!

  7. What a story! I'm so glad you had a great team of doctors! And that is one big head :) Big brains in that boy!

  8. crues head was 14! so big these babies and their brains!
    i am so glad he's here and you are a mommy!! i want to hear more about it!