Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Answers To Questions about Kieran's Asymmetry

There were a few questions on my last post about Kieran's MRA results, and instead of answering them individually, I thought I'd answer them in a quick post. 

The most common question/comment was that all faces have asymmetry. This is totally true. No face is perfectly symmetrical, and most of the time, you can hardly notice the differences. Kieran's face, however, is pretty noticeable. I don't like to post pictures of him on such an open blog, but I've included one below so that you can see the difference. 


The right side of his face is a lot larger than his left, especially in the cheek area. His eye socket is larger, and at certain times, the right side of his mouth droops lower than the left. After his doctor noticed the differences, we remembered that in the hospital after birth, Kieran had difficulty opening his left eye for about a week. I thought it was due to him being stuck in the birth canal for so long (and it might be!) but it's something I want to bring up to his doctor when we speak to him. We've also noticed that Kieran moves his right arm much more than his left. Of course babies don't have hand dominance yet, but again, it's something I'm going to mention. 

Another comment was from a reader whose daughter was born with a flat spot on her head and had a bad case of torticollis (a twist and weakness in one side of the neck.) I did ask Kieran's doctor if he had a flat spot in his head that could be causing the asymmetry, and while he does have a small one, it's not large enough to cause any changes to his face. 

The good news is that the scariest option has been ruled out. The blood flow in his brain is good on both sides and there are no masses. I haven't done any research because I don't want to know all of the worst case scenarios out there, so we're going to wait and see what our doctor suggests next. 

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and kind words! <3

13 comments:

  1. He is adorable! Hoping you get some answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue to pray for you both! I'm glad it's not the scariest of the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has such big beautiful eyes <3 I'm glad the scariest option is out, and I hope whatever is causing the asymmetry is a quick and easy fix. I'm sorry you guys all have to go through this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, it sure is good to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I was wondering if you have an update? I just fathered a daughter with very similar symptoms and am wondering if this gets solved by itself...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's adorable. I couldn't even notice until you pointed it out. My daughter has the same thing. They don't know what it is. Hers is really noticeable if I'm looking at her in the mirror. She's 3 now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's adorable. I couldn't even notice until you pointed it out. My daughter has the same thing. They don't know what it is. Hers is really noticeable if I'm looking at her in the mirror. She's 3 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem since birth. I am a girl child. I don't know what is the reason. Can it be cured??? Plz reply I don't have any pain.... And u said ur daughter is going through same.. ..

      Delete
  8. Any update from a doc? My grandson had the same thing and his doctors don't seem concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can it be made symmetrical on both sides

    ReplyDelete
  10. My month old baby girl has the same condition. I was worried and took her to a pediatric ophthalmologist. I was told to wait until she turns 3 months for proper diagnosis, hinting it might be congenital microphthalmia. Greatful if you could share updates on his progress. He's adorable BTW and happy the scare is eliminated.

    ReplyDelete