Height: 23 inches
Weight: 10 pounds, 8 ounces. (I'm pretty proud to say that he's gained a pound and an ounce in 1 month! I was getting worried about his slow weight gain, but he's chunked up again.)
Head circumference: 16 inches
Clothing: He's exclusively in 0-3 and 3 months clothing now. I think the newborn clothing would still fit him around his waist, but he's long, plus the added bulk of cloth diapers, so we've had to move up to the 3 month clothing for the length.
We've also exclusively cloth diapered since he was about 2 weeks old. While it is more laundry, we absolutely love it, especially since we're not running to the store to buy diapers every week!
Nicknames: Fussy Pants, Chunker, Chunk-a-monk, Chubby Cheeks, Chubby Cheekers, Little Love, Baby Boy, Bubba, Bubsy...I don't think he will know his actual name with the number of nicknames he has.
Food: Exclusively breastfed. I'm still pumping to try and build a frozen stash, but it's not going too well. We only freeze if I get 4+ ounces in a day, but that doesn't happen often, so we feed him the random 1 or 2 ounces in a bottle. He's had no nipple confusion or preference, and he'll take the milk cold from the fridge.
Sleep: It seems like he's regressed back to a newborn sleeping pattern the last half of this month. He was sleeping from around 10 pm to 4 or 5 am, eating, then getting up around 7 for the day. Now, he's getting up multiple times a night (sometimes as many as 5!) and it's wearing me out. We've started putting him to bed between 8 and 9 because we noticed he was getting really fussy if we kept him up until we went to bed around 10 or 11.
Naps: Naps are hit or miss. I've started to notice a pattern where he'll nap about 2 hours after waking up, around 1 or 2, and then again between 4 and 6. Nap length varies widely (anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours,) and he naps better when we're at home. When he comes to work with me, napping is a fight, and I think that's because there are so many distractions that he doesn't want to miss out on. No matter where we are, he always sleeps better on me, whether that be on my chest while we lay on the couch, or in our Ergo carrier at work.
- We're getting smiles! We're getting both recognition smiles (like when Keegan walks in from work,) and smiles when we "boop" his nose or tickle his chin.
- He's also drooling like none other. He's constantly chewing on his hand or arm, and has once sucked on my wrist while I was holding him.
- He's also been sticking his tongue out, and will mimic when we stick out ours. Keegan will sit Kieran on his chest and play a sticking tongue out game.
- He's able to see farther now, and he absolutely loves our ceiling fan and lights. We'll be sitting on the couch having a "conversation" and all of a sudden he'll lean his head back, his mouth will form into a big "O," and he'll stare at the fan for minutes at a time.
- He's cooing up a storm. When he's in a particularly talkative mood, we'll talk back to him and have conversations.
- He's started batting at the toys that hang down on his playmat. He's not consciously reaching for objects yet, but his flailing arms seem to have more direction.
- I went back to work at the beginning of October on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule and he's coming with me, for now. Working with a baby has been a big adjustment and I don't get as much done during the day as I used to, but I'm so thankful that he's able to come with me.
- We're pretty sure he has Grandpa eyes! Keegan's grandfather's eyes change color from blue to green to gray. Keegan's eyes do the same as do a few of his cousin's. We were really hoping that Kieran would get them as well and it looks like he might have. We see gray and blue pretty consistently, and have just recently started seeing green. We know that his eyes won't be his permanent color until he's around 6 months, but we hope that he keeps his Grandpa eyes.
- We "decorated" for Halloween / fall with this cute craft:
Likes: Snuggles, eating, sleeping, bath time, tummy time, his Kick and Play Piano playmat.
Dislikes: Getting his clothes changed (he doesn't like things going over his head,) getting his diaper changed, being cold, being left alone while I try to get something done.
I absolutely love this age. Sure, I loved the newborn sleepy cuddles, but having Kieran react to the noises and movements I make is awesome. His smile is the best thing I've ever seen and it makes my heart so happy to see it. I can only imagine how much fun he's going to be when he starts laughing.
This month was pretty rough for me health wise. I had mastitis and 1.5 UTIs (one full blown one and one I caught early enough that it wasn't too big of a deal.) My incision still isn't healed and I just found out that I have a cavity I'm going to have to get filled at the end of the month. Besides all of that, things are going well. I feel like we're getting in a good rhythm with things and we're lucky that he's such an easy baby. Sure, he cries, but 99% of the time I can calm him down with a boob or cuddles. We've started putting him to bed earlier which has allowed Keegan and I have to have at least an hour of time together. Most of the time it's spent watching TV in bed, but it allows us to catch up and cuddle. I'm constantly amazed that this little boy is ours and I'm head over heals in love.