Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Anatomy Scan That Wasn't

Yesterday afternoon, I got a voice mail from my OB's office saying the sonographer was looking over Thursday's appointments and noticed that I would not be far enough along in my pregnancy to do my anatomy scan.

When I called back to reschedule my appointment, the lady asked why I had pushed up my appointment from March 6 to February 27. I replied saying I had to change it because my husband was going to be out of town all that week and he wanted to be there for the scan. She then suggested moving the appointment to the 6th, and again I had to tell her that Keegan would be out of town all that week so it couldn't be done that day. Due to him being out of town, the earliest we can get the scan done now is March 13.

I know in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal. I know I still have a baby cooking away and that truthfully, waiting a few more weeks is probably best so that s/he can chunk up a bit more and we can get better pictures. I know all of these things, and I'm truly grateful to be in this position, but I'm upset.

I am more upset about the fact that this wasn't caught 3 weeks ago when I made the appointment. I'm upset that I wasn't called about it until the day before. I'm honestly confused because most elective ultrasound places will do a gender scan as early as 14 weeks. My friend A goes to the same OB and had her twin anatomy scan done at 17 weeks, 2 days. I know babies change quickly, especially during this time, but I'm not sure how 5 days makes that big of a deal (I am 16 weeks 4 days today.)

The more I deal with this OB practice throughout my pregnancy, the more I dislike them. They constantly drop the ball, make mistakes, and there have been numerous times that I've felt like I know more than the doctors. A has said she's felt the same way.  Both of us went to the same RE in Alabama, and we'd both go back there in a heartbeat if it wasn't 3 hours away. Unfortunately it seems that I'm stuck with this OB. All the other ones have had horrible reviews and stricter policies on attempting to have a natural birth. I just hope that if/when we have another baby in the future, we're away from this town and I can get a new OB.

We did try and get an elective ultrasound done in Atlanta on Friday, but most places wanted a written consent notice from your OB, were too far away from where we were going to be doing our shopping, or both. We did  find one place that just took the name and phone number of your OB and would call if they found anything strange in the ultrasound, but the earliest appointment they had was March 8 which doesn't help us much.

Even though I'm sad, I'm not going to let this ruin my weekend. We are still going to Atlanta tomorrow to register and see Alton Brown's show, as well as going to Ikea for the first time and eating at the Cheesecake Factory (I haven't been to one since I was in my teens!) Honestly, we don't need to know the sex to register for breast pumps or strollers; we want big ticket items like that to be as gender neutral as possible in the hopes there will be a second baby to occupy them. If we find something that we want to be gender specific, we'll put it on the registry, and then take it off/change the color if Breadcrumb ends up being the opposite sex.

So if any of you were holding your breath (HA!) to see what Breadcrumb ended up being, sorry to disappoint. You'll just have to wait with baited breath like Breadcrumb's grandparents and my boss who looked more disappointed than I was.


11 comments:

  1. Aw :( I'm sorry, that's disappointing. I'm surprised you couldn't find an local elective place. We have several of them here but I'm not sure if they have a guideline of how far along you have to be. I guess the official scan they are probably much more concerned with baby's size and their views of various physiological things than gender, but I know how anxious you must be to find out. I hope the time in between goes quickly and have fun this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I totally understand why they want me to be a specific week along when they do the scan, I just wish they would have told me 3 weeks ago when I made the appointment!

      I'm sure the time will fly by fast, it's not really *that* far away even though it feels like it!

      Delete
  2. That's a bummer about your appointment and your displeasure with your OB practice. It sucks when you don't have many options. I'm totally jealous about Alton Brown, IKEA, and the Cheesecake Factory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of stupid how excited I am to visit IKEA. I've never been to one and everyone seems to think it's like the holy grail of home shopping!

      Delete
  3. So Sorry.. Waiting is so hard. I am so glad I found your blog!
    www.mommy-dreaming.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still get to do your scan a day before me!! I already know the gender but I'm nervous to know if everything else is looking good! I am also soooooo excited to see her again! It's been so long! It totally sucks they didn't tell you until the day before, at least they didn't tell you when you showed up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That totally stinks! Hopefully your OB practice gets better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bummer! Totally agree with you on the registry though. People like to give clothes as gifts once the little one arrives.. I like to give the practical gifts like changing pad covers (you'll want at least two).

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's ok to be bummed about that! But yes, not the end of the world! Also, we LOVE the Cheesecake Factory. So much so that we learned how to make their Louisiana Chicken Pasta at home! You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally be bummed too... I can't wait to hear what you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  9. pregnancy is one long waiting game. i would be so bummed too! and, i am!

    ReplyDelete