Oi vey, as much as I want to be a mama, I'll admit that I'm scared.
I'm scared of...
- My son getting a girl pregnant, having to drop out of school and work to pay child support
- My daughter getting pregnant in high school (or before!) and dropping out
- Passing on the family diseases
- Potty training a boy
- Having to teach my daughter that her self worth doesn't come from how skinny she is or what designer clothes she has
- Having to teach my son that his self worth isn't from the girls he's slept with or what car he drives
- Having to explain death and why things like bombings and war happen
- The first instance of bullying
- The first heartbreak
- The constant "am I doing what's best for my child?" question that will run through my head for the rest of my life
- That I won't bond with my boys as much as my husband does
- That we won't be able to spend as much time with my children's grandparents and extended family as we would like
- That my husband will work too much and will miss out on things like first steps and their first word
- Having to raise children in such a materialistic world
- Trying to convince my children that their quirks and personalities are what make them amazing and unique, that they don't have to be like every other child in their school. I hope that my children will have the courage to be themselves and not like everyone else.
- My body won't be able to handle being pregnant
- My body won't be able to handle child birth and I won't get the med-free natural birth I want
- I won't be able to breastfeed, something that I really want to do
- And for the sake of being really truly honest, that my body will never be the same
- My child stands up against a bully for their friends
- My child goes against the grain and wears/does/says what s/he wants, no matter what society is telling them to do
- I get those hugs and kisses, especially in front of their friends when it's not "cool"
- When my children grow up to be successful, respected members of society
So, what about you ladies? What is your biggest fear about being a parent?